Your veterinarian may recommend some blood tests to evaluate the internal health of your cat. The aim of treatment is to prevent further contamination. If you would like to receive emails about new articles and the occasional deal, enter your email address below! See if the cat is drooling excessively or vomiting. Organophosphate poisoning or toxicity occurs when an animal or person is overexposed to insecticides containing organophosphates. Always dispose of antifreeze safely and responsibly. The smoke from a Tiki Torch works – but only if you’re enveloped by the black smoke, not just near it. Click Yes to help us continue to make these improvements. In many cases of poisoning in cats, the poison is unknown. © 2020 IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. All rights reserved. Citronella candles work the same way tiki torches do by keeping the insects away from you. However, if cats are kept permanently indoors they may not have access to grass and may try eating other things either out of boredom or to try and access some plant material. Many essential oils found in natural bug sprays and creams are mildly to severely toxic to cats. Less than one leaf ingested by a cat can cause kidney failure and urgent veterinary treatment is required to prevent death. It is best to use these items at a fair distance away from wildlife as well so applying them on your deck, in your driveway, or in your garage is best. Only when the contamination is mild and confined to the coat, can the cat may be treated at home. Chemistry tests to evaluate kidney, liver and pancreatic function as well as sugar levels, A complete blood count to rule out blood-related conditions, Electrolyte tests to ensure your cat is neither dehydrated nor suffering from an electrolyte imbalance, Bathing your cat to remove any remaining chemical residue, Inducing vomiting to flush out the stomach, if poison was ingested, Administering activated charcoal, which keeps the body from absorbing the poison while it passes through the digestive system, Administering drugs such as atropine to counteract the effect that organophosphates have on the nervous system, Administering intravenous (IV) fluids, if your cat is dehydrated, Providing oxygen, if your cat is having trouble breathing, Additional treatment and support, as needed, based on symptoms. However, as a charity, we need your support to enable us to keep delivering high quality and up to date information for everyone. Contact your vet for advice immediately; make sure you know when, where and how the poisoning occurred. If you feel the cat may have ingested any toxin it should be taken to the vet. Most often, overexposure is the result of misuse of a product or exposure to multiple insecticides at once. If appropriate take the packaging, plant or substance with you to the vet.

Symptoms Your cat’s symptoms will depend on the amount of insecticide he has been exposed to. If treatment is necessary, your veterinarian will want to start it immediately, to counter the effects of the poisoning. In extreme situations, organophosphate poisoning can lead to seizures or even death—so if you think your pet has been overexposed to an insecticide, contact your veterinarian immediately! If the poison is on the coat or paws, try to prevent the cat from grooming itself further. If products are kept in high places where cats can push them off a shelf and then walk through liquids which escape through broken or split containers or tops, then make sure they are secured in closed cupboards. One note- bug zappers are useless with mosquitos…they are not attracted to UV light. You can use these on your deck, porch, or by your pool, but you never want to use them indoors. After any exposure to possible poisons, it is advisable to keep the cat under observation in a warm, quiet room for 24 hours. Do not try to make the cat vomit, unless you are instructed to do so by your vet. Directly ingesting a toxic substance either by eating it or by eating poisoned prey. If the skin or fur is contaminated wash thoroughly with mild shampoo and water. Signs of poisoning in cats that have ingested painkillers include difficulty breathing, pale blue gums and swelling of the paws and face.
Eventually all of the symptoms seen with pesticide poisoning will arise.

These are great for deck and porch areas you frequent at night. However, because of their curious nature and the fact that they will groom any substance off their coats and ingest it, intoxication is not that uncommon.

Follow all labels carefully and never use products off label. A lot of pet lovers will opt for more natural insect repellents which is a great idea in general but just because the label reads “natural” doesn’t mean it is safe. Clean up any spills immediately, no matter how small, and make sure pets cannot access the area until it is clean and safe. This will keep night time (and even daytime) insects away from you without having to apply anything directly to your skin or clothes. Support International Cat Care from as little £3, Sign up to our monthly newsletter and free e-magazine Intelligent Cat Care, Reg Charity 1117342 (England and Wales) Place Farm, Chilmark Road, Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3 6LW. It is crucial that you provide information about any insecticides you think your cat has been exposed to, including those used on your lawn, in your garden, and on your pet(s). However, there are many substances within the home which are potentially poisonous to cats. If left untreated pets can suffer, and will die. Most people will opt to use some kind of insect repellent be it spray, cream, or a saturated accessory. Be sure to read labels if you are purchasing a traditional bug spray from a store. The cat’s collar should be removed as it may also have been contaminated. If you are not concerned with being completely humane to the insect population, investing in a bug zapper or two will do the trick. However, in some cases, symptoms can take up to 72 hours to emerge. Rodenticides are the most common pesticides implicated in the poisoning of cats, usually because the cat has eaten poisoned prey.

Of the 4 alternatives you list, none have been shown by respectable labs to repel mosquitoes much. After some time, the symptoms get worse and include hyperactivity, trembling, frequent urination, tachycardia, bradicardia, difficulty breathing, and cardiac and respiratory arrest. If it does, which most do contain at least one, it is best to only use it outdoors. You do not want any of the chemicals being accidentally sprayed, dripped, or dropped near your kitty. Absorbing some toxins through the skin (particularly the paws). Other factors predispose cats to becoming ill once they have been exposed to a poisonous substance; these include their small body size, their ability to hide so that exposure is not immediately evident, and because cats, being specialist carnivores, lack certain liver enzymes, they are unable to breakdown certain chemicals. The cat may act paranoid, be irritable, stiff, and tense. There is a lot documented on the items mentioned above, including scientific studies that show they do indeed repel bugs. Check flower labels for warnings of toxicity to animals. Check with your vet. It is sometimes said that because cats are fussy eaters they are less easily poisoned than dogs. There are many commonly-grown plants, both houseplants and garden plants, that are toxic or can cause skin irritation. Permethrin is found in many spot-on preparations for dogs used for the control of fleas, biting flies and lice (also in some ant powders). Across the world, there is a huge range of biting and stinging animals or insects which could injure a cat. If products are kept in high places where cats can push them off a shelf and then walk through liquids which escape through broken or split containers or tops, then make sure they are secured in closed cupboards. Using these sprays, creams, and other items whilst outdoors is the safest method of use. Organophosphates can be absorbed through the skin, lungs, or the gastrointestinal tract. Always ensure that any of these products are stored safely and spillages cleaned up immediately and carefully. It is important to remove as much of the contamination as possible before washing because the process of washing can increase the absorption of some chemicals. In some cases where these are not rapidly fatal, treatment or an antivenom may be available. The symptoms of poisoning by chocolate in cats can be noticed after six to twelve hours, and they include extreme thirst, vomits, salivation, diarrhea, restlessness and a swollen belly. It is because of this that when cats become poisoned they are perhaps less likely to recover than dogs. 2.
Head Pressing in Cats – Know The Difference, Tripod Cats – Understanding Feline Amputees, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6189689/. THANK YOU for the info of insecticides to avoid around cats. We use cookies to improve our website to make sure you have a better browsing experience. What’s your method for controlling the bug population? To remove chemicals from the coat it is best to clip off contaminated hair and then wash the cat in warm soapy water. The symptoms of pesticide poisoning can vary when a pesticide is eaten or drank as compared to it being inhaled or absorbed through the skin. If you suspect this has happened to your cat, take them to your vet straight away. Cats may salivate a great deal, be thirsty and have a high temperature and tremors or convulsions – urgent veterinary advice is essential.